|My husband called these 'bird food'. An unnecessarily cruel comment...|
I'm going to say up front that yes, these look strange.
They have definitely crossed the line between 'slightly unusual food (due to allergies)' and 'OK these look insane, far too weird, I will definitely not make them'.
It's allright, I understand.
They ARE weird. But if you're trying a low carb diet, they are a good vehicle for transporting hummus into your mouth.
I will be totally honest and say that the coconut oil is a little overpowering and...oh god I have to stop being honest or no-one will make these!
Look, they are what they are and they are nutritious. And doused in maple syrup how good would they taste?
I don't know because I'm on a low carb bloody diet and I can't try it!
Do me a favour?
If you make these, come back and post a comment so I can see whether I'm definitely in the foodie (weird) badlands, or whether actually, these aren't that bad at all.
I've done a truly terrible job of selling these, haven't I?
Linseed and sunflower seed 'crackers'
The following measurements are very ad hoc, use your culinary wisdom to reduce or increase the amount of seeds in play.
3 tbsps linseeds (whole or ground, up to you. whole ones give more crunch)
3 tbsps ground pumpkin seeds
3 tbsps ground sunflower seeds
Approximately 2 tbsps coconut oil
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake cases
- Put the coconut oil into a small saucepan and heat very gently until melted
- Add the seeds and stir. If there seems to be too many seeds and not enough oil, add a bit more oil. If not enough seeds, add more
- Using a teaspoon, dollop a small amount of seed mix into each cupcake case and use the back of the spoon to level off the surface
- Place in the refrigerator (or freezer) until the coconut oil has set
- Taste. Hmm, what do you think? Weird or wonderful??!
- Use for wacky canapes, as a decoration for your tomato soup (that would look cool, the oil would melt and you'd be left with a pretty seed formation!) or to munch on when you're starving but your diet book says 'no more food'
- Come back and tell me what you think!
© Pig in the Kitchen All Rights Reserved