This bunch of seedy types don't look very attractive, but they are very versatile. Put them on your salads, on your spuds, or just swallow them down with some orange juice or alcohol. The former will help your body absorb the iron in the seeds. The latter won’t.
A word of warning. The poppy seeds get stuck in your teeth.
Alpha Mums – check your teeth before the school run, seedy teeth will ruin your look.
Beta Mums – you probably don’t need to check your teeth.
Stay At Home Dads – you also don’t need to check your teeth. The Mums will be checking your arse, not your teeth.
Finally, this mix goes out to Sean. Sean, you can’t eat the Brazils in Munchy Mix, but you’re still special to me.
130g sunflower seeds
130g pumpkin seeds
0.75tbsp gluten-free yeast extract(here's one)
1.5tbsp olive oil
2 tsp vinegar
Salt and black pepper
As many chilli flakes as you like
- Light the grill in readiness for toasting the seeds.
- Line a couple of baking trays with baking parchment
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the yeast extract, olive oil, vinegar, chilli flakes, salt and pepper. You may need to use a mini-whisk to get the gloop really smooth.
- Add all the seeds to the gloop and mix around until all the seeds are coated.
- You may need to add some more olive oil to get everything coated.
- Spread the seeds out on the baking trays, try to spread them thinly, this helps them toast more evenly
- Place them under the grill and hover nearby, they can burn really quickly, be on your guard!
- When the surface is brown, use a spatula or spoon to turn them over.
- Brown again and repeat as often as necessary until the seeds are lightly toasted.